Shared Services IT recommends all Windows and Mac users restart their computers on a weekly basis. This is different than shutting down and turning it back on; this is specifically using the Restart feature to force the updates.
As outlined in the UW IT newsletter article, “Why Restart Your Computer“, there are many benefits to restarting including:
• Many updates aren’t completed until you restart the computer
• Restarting flushes your computer’s memory
• Restarting shuts down programs that you may not need to have running, freeing up your processor for the tasks you need done
To restart your computer:
• Windows: From the Windows Start Menu, select Power, then select Restart
• Mac: From the Apple Menu, select Restart.
To assist users to remember to restart their computer and facilitate required system updates, Shared Services IT is deploying a restart reminder that will notify the user if it has been longer than 10 days since the previous restart. The message can be snoozed (paused) for up to 15 days, at which point the reminder can no longer be snoozed and will remain on the screen.
Restart Reminder Screen Shot: